Monday, November 23, 2009

W-R-I-T-E cheerleaders

So today I felt productive. I wrote on my Sasha in Seattle blog, and took care of a *ton* of things around the house. Okay, really, more like 50 pounds of things around the house, I tend toward exaggeration. But really, it felt fantastic to have time to write. Which is probably why I'm doing it again, seated across the ping-pong table from a wonderful man engaged in his own creative pursuit (which is awesome... I can't wait until he's done so that I can show off his creativity).

Maybe I should let you know... I applied for a part-time writing job the other day. I'm nervous, because I feel that there's likely a vast many amount of writers who have more experience, more pizazz, more whatever than I do. "Oh Sasha, be positive" I hear Camille saying to the computer, loyal reader and friend that she is. I know, I know. Let me remind you of the heading of this personal blog-world. Sometimes, I'm not. Ask me again in ten minutes if I'm feeling optimistic, and you'll have the answer you're used to hearing.

Perhaps the case of nerves indicate that I want this position much more than I was initially willing to admit to myself. When I started my current job, I knew that I wanted to transition into something more creative. Given the size of the company, I thought that opportunity would be fairly quick in coming, but of course... these things take time. I imagine I've withheld from applying for better-fitting jobs in the past due to fears of failure. What happens if I do this, this thing I really want, and I fail?

It's interesting to be at a point in my life where I'm feeling brave enough to take that chance. Life is full of risks; there's chances of failure around every corner. But when I'm pursuing something that feels right in both heart and mind, something where my heart races even though my breathing is even, there's an excitement to that risk. Because I know that in everything I've attempted and accomplished, that possibility of failure was there too. If I hadn't taken the shot, there was no way it would ever go in.

Besides, there's something positive to come of every experience. Even those with less than satisfactory outcomes (ahem, exes, business plans, and a few other grand ideas that didn't successfully come to pass) still taught me something that I needed to know to proceed. I think it can be hard to fully extract the lesson from everything, sometimes it takes me years to have the perspective I need to best understand why something needed to happen... but, with time speeding up these days, at least it feels like I'm getting it quicker!

Anyway. Writing = Good. Food (oohhh home cooking) = Even better right now.

Love to my peep(s)!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Besides, there's something positive to come of every experience. Even those with less than satisfactory outcomes (ahem, exes, business plans, and a few other grand ideas that didn't successfully come to pass) still taught me something that I needed to know to proceed."

Yesssss!! Totally! This applies to every life, you and I know this well. ;) And that is awesome you applied for something you can do professionally that shows off your biggest strengths! Have you received a response? Do you know that I am going to see you in like four hours? Are you just as excited as I am? Okay then!

xoxoxoxo
-Loyal Reader and Friend ;-)