Sunday, September 5, 2010

A further note, specifically about running...

For the past few years, ever since I began running I guess, I've experienced excruciating hip pain that would flare up for no discernible rhyme or reason. With my Pilates instructor training on the horizon, I wanted to get the go-ahead from professionals to pursue this goal, and I wanted to have a diagnosis for the pain so that I could understand what to do to prevent or mitigate the flares.

What I learned: I have ITBS, but occurring at my hips, rather than at my knees (which is where most runners experience it). This is great news! I have some strengthening exercises that I now do a couple of times each week, and I'm getting ready to inject slow but steady increases in my mileage/time spent running each week. My Pilates training will almost certainly be a boon to my body, helping to get my muscles working together better, and helping to stave off the pain.

I was almost a bit too optimistic when I began fantasizing about my return to running though-- I was trying to plot out marathon training so that I could run a marathon on my next birthday (in a few months). But looking at the amount of training, I recognized that (1) it was far too ambitious than would probably be good for my hips, and (2) I don't know how I would fit so much time/mileage into each week -- I've got a lot on my plate as it is. So, the good thing? I do think that I could comfortably manage a half-marathon. One of my best friends is in training for an earlier half, and I'm feeling inspired by her to really challenge myself to train for the distance. I can see how her hard work is paying off, and I admire that. Plus since the actual race will be on my birthday, I will walk when I want to and not feel pressured for any grand showing. Cause that'll make it fun for me!

I may do some writing on my Sasha in Seattle blog for a few, but then I think I need to dive into a spreadsheet with my calendar at hand, and really figure the next 12 weeks out! Hurrah!

No comments: