Monday, January 7, 2008

Busses and Dates

Okay, I've got about fifteen minutes left of my lunch, but I wanted to post before another day went by...

I checked out a 1973 VW Westfalia Friday on my lunch break... and the more research I've done subsequent to viewing that particular bus, the more I'm realizing what a gem it is! There's very little rust, but if I go back I'll need to scurry under the bus and check out the front-axle. According to the research I've done that can be a problem spot. But it's in good condition, the engine looks very clean, and Brad - the guy who's selling it - bought it off of a mechanic who'd had it for years... so it was well maintained. The inside is very clean too, but I'd probably embark on a reupholstery project to give it more of a SashaStamp. Seriously though, it's in great shape! Brad was very helpful and honest, I'd told him it was the first bus I'd looked at, and he told me what things to look for while shopping, and showed me where to look on this bus.

I do feel like I could benefit from a more experienced opinion though. Probably I'll call up my buddy Nate; he and I haven't spoken in a number of months - not for any bad reason, but more that's just how life works out sometimes - so it'd be a good reason to give him a holler. Anyway, that's on my agenda... If his schedule permits, maybe I can get him over to check it out this weekend. I'll have the money completely saved up by mid-February, and I might see about getting a loan so that I can get it sooner (I've already got 50%, and my bonus at the end of January will cover another 30%...) I guess I'm just worried that Brad will decide not to sell it - he commented that he half-heartedly tries to sell it every few months, but nostalgia sometimes causes him to take his ads down.

Anyway, so that's the bus update!

After the morning run with my ladies on Saturday, I took the bus (public - not VW) downtown to the library to look up travel books. I found quite a few, and got some ideas on places I want to see. Unfortunately I appear to have taken that notebook out of my purse, so I can't write too much detail... But Road Trip USA is great. It gives different routes along major highways, but has an interesting blend of things to do and see.

The way I envision the trip, I'll probably hit the road for a few weeks, and then come home to say Hi and see loved ones (especially Miss Daphne, since she's not much of a driving cat) for a long weekend and then hit the road again. My first trip will probably be headed East; I'd like to see Chicago and the Great Lakes, and then I'll head down along the Mississippi and head down to Florida. I'd like some sun and sandy beaches!

Also, I've started thinking about my leave date. Given the number of times that 306 has turned up in my life (uncanny and possibly uninteresting story to most) I think that March 6th 2009 is my target leave date. This is hard, cause I know I will want to take off earlier. My last day of work (whether at my current job or with a restaurant) will be February 28, to give me time to spend getting ready to leave. If I do get the bus soon, I'll take some practice trips on long weekends and camping this summer. It'll be so much fun! By the by, the bus sleeps 4 adults, though maybe not that many comfortably. If at any point while I'm gone people want to meet up for a trip, I'd be happy for the company I'm sure.

I should dash, lunch is up!

Cheers,
Sasha

No comments: