Thursday, January 3, 2008

Every journey begins...

Over the years, I've occasionally thought about getting a VW bus and seeing the country. Though I would talk about it the chance I would actually do so was slim to none. After a particularly restless end to 2007, I realized I would have to do something in order to learn some important things about myself, and the bus trip fantasy seemed as good a thing to try as any.

I really don't know what I hope to find; it could be inspiration, it could be spirituality, it could be the knowledge that I should be doing what I'm doing now. Could be anything, everything, and nothing, but it would be a challenging adventure for sure.

My plan is to leave in 2009, as the winter chill starts to fade into the coming spring. In the meantime, I'm going to continue with my job, though I will be talking this over with my boss soon. I have a strong desire to give my best for what remains of my time there; I plan to work as a server for a few months before I hit the road... I imagine I'll leave employment (and my wonderful and supportive boss) by the end of this year. It's sad really, I love the people I work with and it's a wonderful company. But I worry about the long-term fit. Maybe when I'm done with my trip, or after I spend a few years in self-discovery, I'll be in a better place to give them what they deserve of me, and I really hope that it might work out.

I know some of my friends and loved ones will be skeptical that I'll actually go on this journey. Unfortunately, I've not been the best at following through on plans. But when I'm serious about something, then, well, I'm pretty dang serious.

Running started me on this. I don't fully remember how I got started running --which is strange-- but I know that it's been teaching me how to set goals, and how to push myself and do the things I want to do.

This really feels like the next step for me. The planning and preparing for the trip will help as well; I've already begun lists of things that I need or need to learn how to do. There's a sense of calm in my heart that I hope I may maintain some sort of grasp on for the years to come.

Tomorrow I'm checking out my first possible bus. I wouldn't be able to afford it until about mid-February, but that's fine. It will give me time to research others and discover what questions I should be asking and what I should be looking for when shopping around. If anyone can give me any tips on shopping for the right VW bus (or point me in a direction for what I need to know) then I would definitely appreciate it!

I anticipate using this as a means to keep my friends updated when I'm on the road, but also to explain how I got to where I'll get. Make sense? I need to record it some way, and this, well, it will be fun for me.

Cheers and best wishes,
Sasha

No comments: