Friday, January 4, 2008

Websites that will help the documentary aspect...

This blog will also be a way for me to keep track of some of the things I hope to do while on the trip... I'll share the information I'm compiling, so that the people following my progress (loved ones, new friends, and strangers alike) have some idea of my goals. The more open I am about those, the more likely I feel it is I will accomplish them.

In journaling my trip, I was hoping to compile personal writings that I could use for future radio documentaries (I love http://www.thisamericanlife.com/) or even any books or essays I might want to write/attempt in the future. For my birthday, thanks to my brother Geoff, I got a digital voice recorder... I like it a lot, though I wish I'd put more research into it. This American Life directs those new to radio (like myself) to Transom.org's tool site (http://www.transom.org/tools/index.php). Unfortunately, there I learned that another girl is ALSO taking a road trip with similar goals and aspirations, and for a longer time. Though my goals no longer feel original, it's really no bother as I'm sure that this has been done numerous times before. But each and every one of us who embark on such a journey will come away with unique and different experiences, and this one is my story.

Every day since I committed to this idea (so, since about 2:30 on 12/31/07) I've woken up feeling peaceful and joyous. I love it! There's just SO MUCH TO DO!

Still have a few hours before I check out Bus #1, and only a few minutes before my break ends... But I found a site for extended road trips by a family that has been on the road for 15 years! Check it out at http://www.activated-storytellers.com/travel_tips_for_families.html. And please, send along any links to things that you think will help me, or let me know of any books that I should read. I'll be headed to the library this weekend, and any titles or authors would be great!

Cheers, Sasha

P.S. Just found a site I want to investigate at my leisure: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/index.htm YES!

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Advice on books to read: any of Bill Bryson's U.S. travel books. Not only are they REALLY accurate and give a good idea of what you might encounter, they're absolutely hilarious. He spends a decent amount of time in an area before writing about it, and when I read "In a Sunburned Country," it was a nice glimpse into the culture of several areas of Australia.

Running Chick said...

Thanks Kira, and by the way, I<3U dearie!